November 25, 2011

Giving Thanks...

It's been 2 years now since I first participated in a series of beautiful Thanksgiving traditions with a very special family I know in Boston. That day, I learnt a lot about one of America's most cherished national holidays and all the fun and food that goes with it.

Firstly, there was my unknown knowledge that Turkey's have the ability to make you tired and lethargic. Apparently they contain an essential amino acid which creates a sleep inducing effect. Who knew? Certainly not me, since Christmas day in my family consists of a Lamb or Beef roast!

[ image sourced from Sweet Paul]

Secondly, I realised just how many different types of pie recipes exist, as I sampled my way through hundreds of delicious home-baked goods at 'Pie Breakfast'- and yes, I can confirm it's just as amazing as it sounds! Furthermore, I left the US slightly appalled that Australia hadn't quite embraced the pie revolution like our North American friends. In my opinion, we're missing out big time!

[On of the many tables overflowing with homemade pies]


Thirdly, I learnt just how special it can be to sit around a large, dining room table and share the things you are most thankful for amongst the people you love. Unless prompted by an occasion like Thanksgiving, I have no doubt that it's a question many people fail to consider, but when doing so, it has the ability to clearly establish our priorities in life.

So in the spirit of Thanksgiving and in an attempt to make everyone reading reflect on their own lives, here is a list of all the things I have been truly thankful for in 2011...
  1. A stable income which has allowed me to achieve big things in the new year; 
  2. A group of amazing, loyal and like-minded friends- 3 of whom I am thrilled to have join me on my next overseas adventure;
  3. My health;
  4. My parents, who are the most decent people I know;
  5. The friendship I have with my 2 beautiful sisters;
  6. The various avenues in my life which allow me to express my creativity through art and writing;
  7. All the fabulous movie makers and actors who have entertained me on one too many lonely nights;
  8. And right now...I'm thankful it's Friday afternoon and tomorrow is the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment