April 12, 2011

Fashion Forward...

"fashion is what you're offered four times a year.
style is what you pick out of that fashion"

I saw this quote the other day, and as I read it I found myself in one of those moments where you say an 'a-ha' to yourself. To me, that quote perfectly describes and distinguishes the people who have the ability to throw together ordinary pieces of clothing and make them look fabulous, from those who no matter how hard they try consistently get the 'committment to achieve' award. That's the one you get at school which in a nice way says "we know you try 10 times harder and do more homework than the smart kids, but I still can't give you an A" award. Trust me, for two years I stubbornly persisted with Legal Studies at school, even deciding to do it in my senior year because I was sure that taking down an entire folder of notes would help me recite half the Australian Constitution. It didn't, but my reward at the end of the year was not academic recognition, but rather the consolation of a 'Committment to Achieve' award.
My sister is one of those girls who can walk into a shop and pick up items you personally can't help but screw your nose up at while thinking to yourself "what on earth is she going to do with that?" Yet, somehow she manages to pick ordinary looking pieces, mix them with something she found at an op-shop, accessorise a little and wa-la an amazing outfit is born. Her style is very different to mine, and I probably wouldn't wear half the things she does, but almost every morning before I leave for work I look at her outfit choice with a nod of approval.

Anyway, my point is that not everyone has style and more often than not, it can't be taught. Why do you think so many celebrities have stylists or why women the world over can't seem to get enough of glossy magazines? We all have fashion muses who's style we try to emulate in our own 'non-designer' brand way, but sometimes I wonder how much of what celebrities wear did they actually pick out themselves? Even celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Rachael Zoe, who began their careers as a stylists to the stars (before they became one), now have people sifting through racks of designer clothes and shortlisting the items most suited to them.

One thing I've learnt from my sister though, is that the most important accessory to any outfit is the confidence in which you wear it. And on that note, the only person who's opinion really matters- is your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment