May 17, 2011

Going Goo Goo For Gaga

Last night Lady Gaga's Monster Ball Tour was broadcast on television, and since I was overseas on her Australian leg of the tour, it was a couple of hours of TV I didn't want to miss.

Gaga has critics, haters and legions of people who simply just 'don't get her' and therefore are afraid of what she stands for and represents. While watching the show with my mum and sisters, I couldn't help but cringe a little as I saw my mum's reaction when 2 of her male dancers ended a song with a passionate kiss, and then every time she grabbed her crotch, thrusting it against props on stage while swearing like a sailor mum's face turned blank in disbelief.

Love her or hate her, Gaga is as theatrical a performer as we're likely to see in my generation. First there was Cher, then Madonna and now Gaga has taken the title of crazy.

What I think is important to note however, is her message behind the crazy. I think Gaga's lyrics in the song Born This Way sums it up best...

I'm beautiful in my way
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track baby
I was born this way

Don't hide yourself in regret
Just love yourself and you're set
I'm on the right track baby
I was born this way

Her message to everyone that you're born perfect is a powerful one and in a world where appearance and perception rules, Gaga is a fresh and influential celebrity for our youth to look up to. She's loved by gay communities around the world and her fan base is vast, from the Western World to the Middle East.

I remember the first time I saw Lady Gaga perform. It was at the 2008 Miss Universe Pageant and the exact thought that crossed my mind while watching her was "this chick's going to be a one-hit wonder!" Little did I know that behind the auto-tuning and wig was an amazing voice and an artist who would set the bench mark for outstanding live performances across any musical genre.


Had Gaga lived a charmed life and a relatively easy road to stardom, similar to the likes of the Christina Aguilera and Brittany Spears' of the world, then I believe her music, passion and x-factor quality wouldn't be as powerful as it is. Rejection can be the greatest motivation of all and Gaga continuously encourages her fans to never give up on their dreams and to never let others tell you you're not good enough.

I wonder though, when the day will come that Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta (Lady Gaga) will emerge from behind the make-up, costumes and outrageous accessories and walk the street in a pair of sweatpants and a tshirt? Unfortunately, that day will likely be the end of the fantasy and alas the end of Gaga herself.

Yet, despite the crazy, anyone who promotes self love and confidence in whatever art form it comes is welcome in my world any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment