May 24, 2011

Stop. Look. Listen.

It's easy to be offended when a person you're just getting to know sits in front of you and with all the best intentions, provides their own analysis on your life decisions. By decisions, I mean them questioning why you work so much, why you refuse to wear track pants and ugg boots out in public or why you're so standoffish when it comes to men? Naturally, we're all likely to go into defence mode and without a moments hesitation begin justifying ourselves to someone who may not even be worth the time or energy? However, as I discovered a few days ago, sometimes waving the white flag and listening to what they have to say can be a liberating and insightful journey.

I think we can all become a little deluded at how others perceive us- especially upon a first encounter. Confidence can be misinterpreted as arrogance and similarly friendliness for flirtiness or shyness for disinterest, despite our intentions to project something quite different. Of course it's easy to argue that you're new acquaintance is firing judgement with no prior understanding of your life or circumstances, but when it happened to me the other day it got me thinking. If this was his opinion, than could it be others too?


Women often wonder why they attract the same type of guy or why their friends are all inherently the same? Could it be that we send a message to strangers without even knowing it? Just like most women, I've been hurt by men before and although I have forgiven some of their actions I will never forget the way I felt in those moments of madness and heartache. Have these experiences made me hesitant when trying to get to know someone new? Before my conversation with my new friend I would have said no, but now I'm starting to wonder...?

I suppose my conclusion to this experience is that sometimes we find ourselves reaching a place in our lives where it's easy and relatively comfortable to become complacent. The trouble with complacency is that it becomes increasingly more difficult to stop yourself unless someone brings unhealthy behaviour to your attention. Could we all take a little advice from someone who barely knows us? All I know is that sometimes someone special can make you sit back and think "maybe track suit pants aren't that bad after all".

No comments:

Post a Comment