October 29, 2010

A Different Kind Of LOVE...


The past 2 years for me have been a little crazy. I spent a year traveling the world with my best friend, the past 8 months living in London alone and consequently learning more about myself and life than I ever thought possible, and now, since September I've been back home in Australia.

The thing is, I fell in love in Ol' London Town and the boy is making me a little crazy. We've been in a long distance relationship for far too many months already and finally, in December we'll be together again. It is honestly the single most frequent thought running through my mind each day.

Although today is glorious and sunny in Australia, I would give just about anything to be lying on the couch snuggling up to my man in front of an open fire on a cold, rainy Vancouver day.

I never thought it was possible to miss someone so much. I had been away from home living in foreign countries for 18 months and never felt as strong a desire to be with my loved ones as I did with my boyfriend. Sure there were times I wished mum was there to give me a cuddle when I was sick, or to turn to my sisters and ask "does this outfit look ok?" but not having them with me never physically hurt.

"Why" I asked myself? Why doesn't it feel the same? Why doesn't the love I have for my family compare to the love of a partner? It should, in all honesty be more intense. Does feeling this way make me a bad daughter, sister or cousin? Or is it the simple fact that there are many different types of love? The love of your family, your friends, your partner and your child (I assume) are all expressed on different levels so I suppose it's natural to have varied responses to being apart from them. All I know for sure is that I'm counting down the days until my man and I are together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment