February 3, 2011

A Cup Of Lovely...

Being of Italian and Greek heritage, it's only natural that I love my coffee, and collecting my daily cup is as much of a routine as my drive into work. While initially thinking my standards of coffee hovered somewhere around the 'above-average' bracket, I soon realised once I moved to London early last year that I was in fact, quite a coffee snob.

I have no problem drinking from a disposable cup, nor waiting in a cue half way out the door if I know the brew is going going to be worth the wait. What drives me crazy though, is when the person making your coffee struggles to differentiate a cappuccino from a latte (and no, dusting a little chocolate on the top doesn't make the grade).

The thing I found most fascinating however, was the difference in the standard of coffee and cafes for that matter, in Australia compared to England. The British we know are renowned for their tea, and they have truly perfected the art of brewing a superb pot or two, but for a country with such great access to and influences from Italy- the heart of espresso making, it surprised me that coffee in London seemed to come down to STARBUCKS, Cafe Nero and Costa Coffee chains. All franchises, all impersonal and all with a heavy focus on pumping out as many 'triple shot, skim cappuccinos with a dash of caramel and extra foam' (or similar concoctions) as they can. What ever happened to a simple espresso, where the actual coffee is the star, rather than a manufactured sweetener or additive?


Australia, while still a far cry from the 'hole in the wall' cafes which hide around every windy corner on the streets of Rome or Florence, I believe has taken a few crucial lessons from the Italians and the success of our coffee industry shows. For me, enjoying a coffee is not just about the taste, but also the environment you're sitting in and the experience you have while sipping on your drink. A comfy spot to read a book, a big open window that you can watch the world go by, a cozy table for 2 or a space where you can catch up on life with friends- that's what makes the perfect cup! An overcrowded shop with tourists yelling in 100 different languages, kids running around, and other people just there to either get out of the rain or rest their feet from the effects of an all day shopping spree, doesn't sound like the kind of place I'd like to retreat to. Of course we can't discriminate people from cafes based on their motivation to order a cup of coffee, but the vibe and ambiance of a place generally has the power to separate consumers anyway. People treat coffee chains like they do a McDonald's restaurant, simply because they can, but if an environment is created where you feel a need to respect the space you're in because it looks loved and well maintained then I think that resonates.

The best independent coffee houses I found in London were more often than not, owned by Australians. It was a fact that surprised me immensely and got me thinking crazy thoughts like "If I had the money, there'd definitely be a market for the kind of cafe I would surely create". It would be two levels, with a cozy basement downstairs and more of an airy, chic feel upstairs. Candles and flowers are a must, as are big comfy sofas and tables to sit at and write or use a laptop, each with their own unique lighting. Old books would fill floor to ceiling shelves and  there'd be a big open fireplace for those cold, dreary winter days. The colour scheme would be warm and inviting, to create an ambiance which feels a bit like your living room yet plush enough that you wouldn't kick off your shoes and put your feet up. An old, rustic chandelier would hang from the ceiling and there'd be a space for young artists to display their undiscovered talents.

Many of you reading this may sit back and think, "wow, that girl takes her coffee way too seriously", but I'll be honest and say that in my eyes, it's not just about the perfect cup, but the perfect way in which you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment