February 24, 2011

A piece of hope.

Sometimes moral support can come from those you least expect, or in my case, someone you barely know. A new girl recently began working in my office and after a quick chat it became clear that we both had a mutual love of travel and had spent the last few years of our lives living overseas in a blissful yet inaccurate representation of the ‘real world’. We had both found ourselves back in Australia due to circumstances rather than choice, but upon our return our lives didn’t quite pan out the way we had envisioned on that plane ride home. She had a degree in Public Relations, myself one in Journalism, so we both loved to write and in many respects were looking for similar jobs.

I’ve found it tough these past 6 months, being back home and having to swallow the ‘it’s time to get serious about life and start building a career’ pill. I’m pushing through despite my reluctance at times, but according to my new found foe, accepting opportunities no matter how imperfect they may be, is the only way to stop yourself from sinking. After a year of struggling through job interviews and doing work she didn’t particularly enjoy, she’s now found herself in a position she loves and if I asked her today I have no doubt she’d say ''it was all worth it''.

Life’s a funny thing. It’s like this giant roller coaster with no real end in sight, full of ups and downs and in parts consistent plateaus which allow you to regroup and prepare for the next high. My point is, that eventually no matter how far up you go, you’ll have to come back down and that’s always going to be the less fun of the two. Life’s a balance and if you don’t experience the good and the bad, then you’ll never be able to fully appreciate either.

I don’t know what direction my life is going to take and while it’s frustrating and a little depressing; my new colleague gave me a little piece of hope that somehow made everything seem better...even if it was for one afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment