March 27, 2012

This and That...

Today's post is a little sporadic, but I've recently discovered a few things that I thought I'd share...

Last night I went to the movies and saw The Hunger Games. Now, as someone who was never a fan of Harry Potter, Twilight or most fictional stories for that matter, I thoroughly enjoyed the film and it's unique balance of a post-apocalyptic world and fantasy. I must admit, the beginning of the film left a sour taste in my mouth, as the herding of children and teens to attend an involuntary ballot to represent their district and likely die, reminded me of something I'd seen in a confronting Holocaust film. Then there's the concept of killing purely for the entertainment of the wealthy and privileged, as if the Gladiator contests of ancient Rome were televised with minute by minute commentary and betting. I must admit, it was, at times a little unnerving, but the the concept in itself is nothing short of unique. The privileged citizens display fashions which resembled those seen in Alice in Wonderland and just like all popular movies, there is a love triangle which softens this story from the gore and killing which is prominent throughout.

With this film being the first in a trilogy, it will be interesting to see whether or not it's strong opening box office figures can rival those of the wizards and vampires of recent years.

Jennifer Lawrence portrays Katniss Everdeen in a scene from 'The Hunger Games' (AP)
__________________________________________________________________________________

In other news, as soon as I saw this clutch via Pinterest, I almost died. Ah-mazing!

Pinned Image
[ you can follow me on Pinterest by clicking here ]
__________________________________________________________________________________

And for the wedding I will one day have, this photo has gone straight to the top of my inspiration list. Words can not even begin to describe how beautiful I think this is...

Pinned Image
__________________________________________________________________________________

A colleague at work shared this photo of his pregnant daughter and I thought it was just beautiful. My mind immediately went to party planning and I think it would make a gorgeous theme for a baby shower. Superheroes anyone?

__________________________________________________________________________________

Each year, there are a few lists that I look forward to reading. There's TIME magazine's Most Influential People, Barbara Walters Most Fascinating PeoplePeople magazines Most Beautiful People and Forbes magazines World's Billionaires List.

This year, among a pool of telecommunication service providers, apparel giants, mining titan's and technology inventors, Sara Blakely, the youngest self-made billionaire and creator of the undergarment SPANX, not only made the list, but also the cover of the anticipated editorial. As a woman, I am a huge fan of the product itself and also of the fact that Sara managed to build her business from a mere $5,000. She avoided needing help from outside investors, dodged debt and never put a cent towards conventional advertising. Instead, her product spoke for itself and has now changed the lives of everyday fashionistas around the world.  

In an elite class dominated by men, Sara is an amazing role model for women and small business owners alike. Sometimes it's easy to discourage those on the list who inherit their fortunes, but in this case, Sara is there because of a small idea that grew into a modern day necessity.

__________________________________________________________________________________

And a finally, a few new additions to my itunes account and possibly yours too...

> A little Rap
> A little Pop
> A lilttle RnB
> A little Soul
> A little House

No comments:

Post a Comment