February 17, 2012

The Grammys...

The Grammy's have come and gone for another year and as always, there was one stand-out artist who obliterated every other contender in their tracks. All hail Adele. 

She had been slammed by Karl Lagerfeld for being "too fat" but on the night, Adele looks beautiful in her black Armani dress and old Hollywood glamour makeup.

In a recent interview, when asked about her next album, Adele stated that she is planning to take a five year hiatus from recording and touring to focus on her relationship with new beau Simon Konecki. She explained that in the past when she has put her career first, it has only lead to heart brake. Now, I could play the devils advocate and say that it has also resulted in lyrical content which saw her become the most successful recording artist of 2011, but I have to commend Adele on her realistic view of life, love and fame.

It's hardly surprising that so few celebrity couples last the test of time, especially when competing and demanding schedules take priority. It's a kind of pressure that most of us could never comprehend, but when I think about a life where my partner was touring or filming a movie for 5 months at a time, I wonder how patient and understanding I'd be? Needless to say, the distance would take it's toll. So in saying all that, perhaps at the age of 23, Adele is wise beyond her years and understands that it's impossible to give 100% of yourself to a career and relationship at the same time.


After reading Adele's recent Vogue interview, it was refreshing to hear about someone who doesn't take herself or her career too seriously. She has more talent than most people could dream of and yet the most important thing to her is finding true love, getting married and having a family. When asked what she can offer a partner in a relationship, she candidly replies "I will do anything for my man. I am a good cook. I’m funny. Always want to have sex...well, most girls don’t!”

The thought of taking a 5 year break within an industry where the doors are forever revolving, would be considered by many as career suicide. However, Adele sees things differently.“I’m in it for the long run,” she says. “I don’t want to be disposable. You’re only as good as your next record. I’m not scared of losing this. I won’t come out with new music until it’s better than 21. I’m not expecting to sell as many records, but I don’t want to release shit. Also, I have nothing to write about! I’d be lying. And that would go against everything I’ve ended up building for myself". And in between records, she has no desire to turn her name and talent into a brand. "I have absolutely no intention of going into acting or making perfumes. I am a singer. I will stick to what I am good at and not spread myself thin and become mediocre at everything I do.”

Here's a thought: if Adele can produce such an incredible album generated by hurt, sadness and emotional turmoil, than I can only imagine the genius she can come up with during 5 years of immense happiness, love and joy. Plus, if she's guaranteeing it'll be better than 21, then I have no doubt it will be worth the wait!

Click here for a full list of this years winners.
 
And finally, no awards ceremony would be complete without a red carpet wrap-up. Here are my thoughts on some of the best and most interesting dresses of the night...
[ Adele in Armani ]
I thought Adele looked beautiful in her black sequined dress, despite it being a little safe. I think a lower cut neckline could have sassed it up a bit, but any woman who loves to wear black is a winner in my book! Her makeup- stunning!
[ Alicia Keys in Alexandre Vauthier ]
I loved this look- especially the gold chest plate. It's different, quirky and accompanied with that hair, natural makeup and Christian Louboutin shoes, it's a winner.

[ Amber Rose in Versace ]
This woman is seriously beautiful. To still look stunning with that hair cut is no mean feat. This dress was a stand out on the red carpet for me, purely because of the colour and amazing fit. In other news, I'm loving her Tangerine lips!

[ Carrie Underwood in Gomez-Gracias ]
This woman is one of the classiest and most consistent red carpet starlets. She has a knack for picking simple and elegant dresses that are just divine and this year is no exception.  

[ Fergie in Jean Paul Gaultier ]
There were a lot of haters when it came to Fergie's pick this year, but I think it has huge potential with a bit of editing. The lace is gorgeous and the colour is well, what we'd expect from the risky fashionista. My main problem however, is with the huge Bridget Jones nickers. Had this dress been shorter and worn with a nude slip, I think it would have looked great.


[ Gwyneth Pultrow in Stella McCartney ]
Gwyneth is like a fine wine- she only seems to get better with age. Stella McCartney has been creating some beautiful pieces lately and this slinky black number is no exception. Love.

[ Jessie J in Julien Macdonald ]
Something radical and different is always expected with JJ, so I wasn't surprised when she decided to come to this years Grammy's as a disco ball. 


[ Kate Beckinsale in Zuhair Murad ]
If I had legs like Kate, I'd probably wear a mini dress too! While it's a cute cocktail dress and the draping is beautiful, I was expecting something a little more spectacular from a lady who has such impeccable style.

[ Katy Perry in Elie Saab ]
Elie Saab is a genius! His work is always divine and the detail spectacular. If he made this dress in white, he'd have brides flocking to the stores to get their hands on one. However, while I love this dress on Katy, I'm just over the blue hair. It looks cheap and detracts from her natural beauty. Bring back the black locks, I say.


[ Kelly Osbourne in Tony Ward ]
This champagne sequined dress is the perfect cut for Kelly and she wears it well. Again, I'm over the lavender hair colour, but I have to say, it's better than her previous shade of granny gray.


[ Kelly Rowland in Alberta Ferretti ]
This colour looks gorgeous on Kelly's skin and her hair is an edgier contrast to the soft and feminine look of the dress.


[ Nicki Minaj in Versace ]
Expect the unexpected. Oddly enough, Nicki's Little Red Riding Hood cape was not the most talked about aspect of her look, but rather her number 1 accessory- The Pope.

[ Paris Hilton in Basil Soda ]
Surprisingly, Ms Hilton wore my favourite dress of the evening. I love it so much I don't even know where to begin? The cut- amazing. The colour combination- perfect. The detail- gorgeous. The sheer neckline- classy. The belt- perfect accessory. And The Hair- Knock-out. Cudos to Paris on a winning combination.

[ Rihanna in Armani ]
Rihanna came a close second in my opinion and when I read that she worked with Armani to design this dress, I loved it just a little bit more. It's daring yet sexy and the gold accessories are the perfect offset to her new blond do.

[ Taylor Swift in Zuhair Murad ]
I feel like we always see Taylor in the same conservative, pretty dresses and this is no exception. She's in her early 20's and is statuesque and beautiful. Surely there's something with a bit more 'spice' that she can find?

No comments:

Post a Comment