February 3, 2012

Movie Review: The Artist

There's a feeling you get when the lights go down and the music begins to play. It's called the magic of the movies.

Some of my fondest childhood memories are the times my grandmother would take my sisters and I to a beautiful, old cinema every school holidays. In my 9 year old mind, the building seemed to hold so much history and prominence within its seaside setting. With one giant screen, lush red carpet and authentic wooden-framed leather seats, I think those were the experiences that founded my love for films.

Back to current times, and in my quest to see all the movies up for Best Picture at this years Oscars, I went to my local art house cinema last night to see The Artist. If I'm being honest, I would have seen this movie regardless of it's nomination, but I was there with a good friend and fellow movie lover, to witness a truly beautiful piece of art.

Black and white delight: Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo both shine in The Artist

In an era where Hollywood seems to be getting bigger and better with each new technological development, many critics and film lovers alike have adopted the catch phrase "they just don't make 'em like they used to!" The Artist however, turns that theory on it's head and is a breath of fresh air amongst the Avatars, Superheroes and Pixar creations of modern day cinema.

The Artist is a silent film, shot in black and white with traditional cinematography techniques and is accompanied by the occasional slide of dialogue. Directed by Michel Hazanavicius, it features the dashing French actor Jean Dujardain as an established film star and Bérénice Bejo, a young woman who aspires to be on screen. The story is a celebration of the early history of Hollywood and documents films survival through the Great Depression, as well as its progression from silent movies to talkies, all while telling an epic love story.

The standout for me in this film was lead actor Dujardain, who was cast to perfection as movie star George Valentin. He represents in every way the image and persona of a movie star of from the 1920's and teamed with his pet Jack Russell, their relationship is enchanting.


As the lights dimmed in the cinema last night, a bold orchestral piece started to play as the credits rolled and in that instant, I felt an overwhelming sense of nostalgia. The first scene begins in an large, ornate Hollywood theatre with a packed audience donned in their finest fascinators, tuxedos, bow ties and pearls. They're Los Angeles elite, enjoying Valentin's latest movie premier. It is an extensive and beautifully crafted scene which is filmed in such a way that you are instantly drawn in and within minutes forget you're in 2012 but rather 1927.

As someone who's grown up with modern day movie icons and having had little exposure to black and white films, I was completely enthralled by the power which can be generated from acting when dialogue is removed. I found myself watching this film in a completely different yet refreshing way and while it requires intense concentration to interpret the facial cues that words would otherwise tell, it is incredibly enjoyable. In a film with no distractions, the love, the heartache, the joy and every emotion in between are intensified beautifully.

I hope that the Academy embraces and rewards this film in the same way that audiences around the world have. In my eyes it is deserving of Best Picture at this years Oscars. In addition, I believe Jean Dujardain should win Best Actor and Ludovic Bource receive a golden statue for his remarkable orchestral score, which is prominent and continuous throughout the film.

The Artist should be a lesson to all actors in Hollywood today, regardless of whether they're established or upcoming. This to me was real acting and used every inch of physical storytelling humanly possible. It reminded and perhaps educated me on the artistic qualities of what makes a film truly great. It possessed qualities that I can now say many modern day 'blockbusters' are missing. It is elegant, emotional and true.

No comments:

Post a Comment