December 23, 2011

Christmas Party Etiquette...


The most reoccurring words in my diary these past few weeks have been 'Christmas Party', but one in particular, held earlier in the week absolutely took the cake. It was a great night, full of laughs, karaoke and alcohol induced shenanigans, which left me wondering why people would choose to get completely out of control at a work function?

Some people I'm convinced arrive with the aim of:
a) embarrassing themselves;
b) creating a talking point for the next 12 months; and
c) to see how much free alcohol they can consume throughout the course of the event.
All roads in these instances lead to disaster and a guaranteed awkward Monday morning 'walk of shame' in the office.

So why, I ask, would someone put themselves through that sort of embarrassment and all the repercussions that go along with it? Sure, it's easy to blame alcohol, but to me, the prospect of loosing my job or being reconsidered for a possible promotion because of a few sneaky Moscato's is enough to keep me in the clear and away from trouble. To me, there's a time and a place to be a free spirit, but in front of your boss or company board members is perhaps not the best alternative.

With that being said, following our own Christmas Party and having witnessed some questionable behaviour, my colleague and I came up with a sure fire list of do's and don'ts to get you through your next work function relatively unscathed...

DONT' wear a revealing wardrobe, more suitable for a nightclub...

DON'T break it down on the dance floor as if it were your bedroom...

DON'T engage in a random hook-up with a colleague...

DON'T drink so much that you can't see straight...

DON'T let this be you at the end of the night...

...and by following these tips, on Monday you won't have to hide your face!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with everything on your list. Staying classy is key to avoiding embarrassment! :)

    XO,
    SWEATshirt DRESSshirt
    http://sweatshirtdressshirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete