November 24, 2010

Bedroom Bliss...

Lately, I've been enthralled by Channel 9's- The Block, where 4 couples renovate and decorate their own appartment in a block of flats. While watching, I can't help but find myself agreeing or disagreeing with their design choices.The show's concept got me thinking about what style I'd choose for my own place if given the oportunity? So, in my bid to search for the perfect bedroom as a starting point, I decided to look for inspiration and this is what I found...



I'm a black and white girl at heart and sometimes without even knowing it I'm drawn towards rooms with a neutral palette like this one here. I love so much about this room, but the huge windows would have to be my favourite feature. It's got a New York style 5th Ave penthouse feel to it, don't you think ? The only thing that threw my eye out a little was the three prints hanging above the bed. The whole look is polished and cohesive, and these paintings seem to throw the balance out a bit. But maybe that was the point? I think the photograhs hanging above the bed in the picture below would have worked a little better?





This room proves that there's no reason to be affraid of grey. From the rug to the quilt and the colour on the walls, this is the perfect example of how a room can be both masculine and feminine. The bed-head, rug and headboard all scream 'bachelor pad', while the mirror finish of the bedside table and the floral print on the quilt soften it slightly. My favourite piece in this room however are the 3 photographs above the bed. I love photography displayed as pieces of art, especially when they're shots you've taken yourself.




This room is simply lush. I love the accents of plum against the crisp white walls, sheets and animal skin on the floor. There is a cleaver mix between rustic and polished in this room, with the bedside table a complete style contrast to the standing stainless steel lamp. My favourite piece however is the sketch of the female body hanging on the wall. It's sexy without being too much.



Flowers- check. A great print or photograph- check. Books, candles and personal touches- check, check, check. This to me is the perfect bedside table.

The bedroom is my favourite room of the house. I think it's the one space that I can create and mould especailly for me, without fearing if it suits the rest of the aesthetic in my family's home. Bedrooms can be personal, romantic, a retreat away from the craziness of life, but above all, they are a direct reflction of the person who calls it their own. It's the first thing you see when you wakeup in the morning and the last before you close your eyes at night, so in my mind, why not make it into something that starts your day with a smile?

No comments:

Post a Comment