November 1, 2010

A Place To Read...














Since seeing the film Somethings Gotta Give (with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton), I instantly fell in love with the idea of floor to ceiling shelving (as seen in the Hampton's home where the movie is shot).

To be honest, I don't know which I prefer more- collecting books for their aesthetic purpose in a room or reading the words which fill their pages? While living in London I spent countless weekends trawling old book stores in Notting Hill and at vintage markets admiring the beautiful antique covers. London is the perfect city to find little gems off the beaten track, but being a traveller and eventually having to ship my loot back to Australia some day, I resisted the urge to buy and simply admired.

One day when I find a place to call my own, I'd love to set some space aside for a chic, modern take on a library/cigar room. A beautiful big window, a couple of armchairs, a coffee table, statement lamp and a throw rug is all I need to create the perfect chill-out room to read, write or just escape.

Here are a couple of rooms I found with floor to ceiling bookshelves that I absolutely adore...



No comments:

Post a Comment