November 3, 2010

LIFE AFTER 20's Guide To The Best Cities In The World...

- New York City -

New York, New York. From Frank Sinatra to Jay Z, over the decades many a song has been written about this iconic city and these days, it seems like almost every big budget movie is filmed there too, but what is it about the Big Apple that captures the imagination, fascination and intrigue of most of us who live everywhere else?

My experience in New York started like any good song does- understated and simple, but then by the third verse (or in my case the third day) launches into an explosion of emotion, excitement and a beat that you just can't help but tap your foot to.

I had flown straight from London, so I hadn't been overwhelmed by the size and pace of the city, but I did initially find it a little underwhelming. We hear and see so much about New York that perhaps my expectations surpassed the reality? That was until I discovered that the trick to enjoying New York is to throw the guide book away and just live your day like a true New Yorker.

By this I don't mean arriving at work before 6am and leaving after 11pm or permanently having your Blackberry fixed to either your ear or you're fingertips, but instead just loose yourself in the magic of the city. Sure, Stacey (my best friend and wing-woman) and I did the tourist essentials like The Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building and a horse and carriage ride through Central Park, but our best moments and fondest memories came from simply wandering the streets on foot.

We were there in November to see the last of the Autumn leaves fall and then in January to witness the city blanketed in white snow, but despite the cold weather we preferred to experience the city the old fashioned way and by doing so, discovered some of it's best kept secrets. We ate in little whole-in-the-wall cafes and listened to bands trying to get their big break in underground bars and clubs. We relished in the joy of walking past a place that made us stop, look at each other and say "that was in..." and finishing the sentence with a favourite TV show or movie. The real heart of New York though is Central Park. It wasn't until I wandered the paths which wind their way through the fields and around the lakes that I realised what a unique and necessary treasure it truly is.

If I were to describe New York in one word, it would be ALIVE. Even in the dead of the night the streets are filled with people from all different walks of life, the bright lights illuminate even the darkest of alleys and there is a constant buzz of cabs, party-goers and energy circulating Manhattan Island.The city has a unique pulse like no other place I've been to and the statement "the city that never sleeps" couldn't be more true.

I was in New York for over 3 weeks and in that time despite our best efforts at cramming in as much as possible, I still left with a list full of un-ticked things to do and places to see. I don't think it's possible though to do New York in one go. The experience I was looking for at 22 is likely to be completely different to the one I'll seek on my next visit. Some choose to be the most productive tourist they can be, while others simply want to live and breath New York for all the night-life and entertainment the city has to offer.

Here are a few things I'll be doing on my next visit...

- Have a Frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity3
225 E 60th St (near 59th & Lexington)


- Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge

- Picnic in Central Park

- Get lost in The Metropolitan Museum of Art

- See a Grand Slam tennis game at Flushing Meadows

- Shop at DASH Boutique

No comments:

Post a Comment