November 6, 2010

Small Spaces. Great Places...

 This apartment offers me hope. While living in London, I rented a small (much smaller than 178 feet) studio apartment and while I wasn't there long enough to invest in interiors and make it my own, these photos are proof that in the context of living space- size really doesn't matter.

If life deals me a decent hand, I'll be heading back to London next year with my boyfriend and we'll need a place to call our own. With this studio as inspiration, I'm confident that looking for somewhere to live might become that much easier.

Although this overly colourful, cluttered and eclectic mix is not really my style, there are a few lessons to be learned from the use of space.

The biggest challenge when you're living in a studio is to try and create rooms without walls. I love the way that Zach Motl has a clear living area and separate bedroom, divided simply by a few arm chairs. I'm a fan of the neutral grey walls as a substitute to white, and the panels around the windows stylishly accentuate the frames and add a more luxurious feel to the room.

The floor colour also caught my eye. I absolutely love it as it's such a chic, modern finish, but I would be hesitant to do it in my own place for the fact of it quickly dating. But with that being said, I do love the look.

Finally, I think the kitchen is so cute and in my personal experience, quite a decent size for a studio. The bathroom basin is a quirky alternative to a kitchen sink and I also love the breakfast bench, but my favourite feature is the inset splash-back accentuated with a bright green finish.

For what it is and the clear style being executed, I think this studio is fabulous. It proves not only that can clutter look neat, but that you are only limited by your imagination rather than space.

Still interested? Check out A Roomy 178 Square Feet as featured in The New York Times.





No comments:

Post a Comment