November 22, 2010

Come Dine With Me...

With the lead-up to Christmas in full swing, the natural 'party-planner' in me has begun thinking about what theme my Christmas table will take on this year. I generally like to coordinate it with the wrapping paper, and this year mum bought a very chic black, white and silver print. So with ideas of name cards, runners, flowers and personal touches floating around in my mind, I thought I'd turn to the queen of all things gorgeous- Ms. Martha Stewart for some inspiration.

Here are a couple of ideas from her website as well as other beautiful settings I managed to find...


This is one of my favourite table settings of all time. Although it maybe not be ideal for Christmas day, if I was attending a dinner party on a cold winters night and walked into a room only to see this laid out before me, I'd be nothing short of impressed. It's dark, moody and a little mysterious. Black crockery isn't something many of us would buy, but in all honesty, how does it really differ from the stock-standard white sets that most of us own? Both are neutral colours and as can be seen in this example, it's the flowers which carry the table and set the mood. I love everything about this- full stop.


I like this setting purely for the centerpiece. Carnations are one of the cheapest and most versatile flowers you can get yet when arranged in this pedestal bowl, they look nothing short of gorgeous. This flower centerpiece is also one that you can put together yourself and add to any existing bowl or vase you've got lying around the house. With a block of OASIS to hold the flowers in place, it's just a matter of time and patience to make sure you create that perfect sphere.


This table screams personality, creativity and comfort with colour. It wasn't until I discovered who's setting it was that I thought "ahh yes, now it all makes sense". If you've got an invitation to Thanksgiving dinner at Diane Von Furstenberg's house this year, then this is the table you can expect to dine at. Although I'm not loving the selection of flowers, I think the jewel tones on the plates are divine, almost as though you're eating off one of her infamous wrap dresses. While this may not be the most conventional Christmas table, it definitely packs a punch.




The advantage of a round table is that everyone can see each other equally and you have the ability to select one feature piece and work outwards, creating perfect symmetry. The brown and yellow contrast each other perfectly and while pine cones are a popular choice at Christmas, this is a fresh and clean way of displaying them.



This table is elegant and  intimate and while it may not be practical for a family with kids, it is a beautiful example of how less can be more. Simple crockery, crystal glass wear, candles and a posy of roses is all you need to bring a touch of glam to any dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment